Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ah, Those Memories

I haven't written in several days. Not that I haven't thought of writing but somehow time got away from me as I prepared for the Passover holiday. I had invited nine for the first night sedar and 16 for the second. So, for three weeks I was busy cooking and baking. My friends thought I was completely out of my mind but they were happy to accept the invitation. I can't say it wasn't hard work but it got my mind off a lot of sadness and as I cooked I remembered so many happy times shared with family and friends.
I remembered following closely and unnoticed behind my grandmother while she put the finishing touches on the holiday table. As she carefully placed a cherry in the middle of each grapefruit I quietly picked it up and ate it. I could see the look on her face as she turned to view the set table only to find the cherries had disappeared.
I remembered the holiday when my mother's matzo-balls turned out to be matzo mush and the time when our dog ran around the house in utter panic after grabbing the horseradish root off the table and eating it. I picture my brother sleeping and snoring on the living room couch after the passover meal.
So many good times, so much to remember. I am lucky to have these memories and rely on them to give me strength and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment